Dr. Michael Sexton reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Sexton has served as the medical director of the CARES Program at St. Luke's Children's Hospital in Boise, Idaho, since May 2004. Dr. Sexton is a pediatrician who has devoted most of his career to teaching. In 1994, he joined the Family Practice Residency Program in Boise, Idaho, where he was director of Pediatric Education. Dr. Sexton was named Faculty of the Year 1995–1996 and 1998–1999 by the residency program. He has served as an associate medical director for Healthwise since 1997.
From 1976 to 1994, Dr. Sexton was staff pediatrician for a large speciality group called Rees-Stealy Medical Group in San Diego, California. (This group is now called Sharp-Rees Stealy Medical Group.) He served as chairman of the Pediatric Department from 1986 to 1992, when it grew from 2 pediatricians to 15. During this time, Dr. Sexton developed and implemented a program called "Pediatric After Hours," which enables patients to see a pediatrician in the office until 10 p.m., 7 days a week.
- American Board of Pediatrics
Healthwise Knowledgebase Topics Reviewed
- Dr. Sexton reviews all new and updated pediatric topics, including Fever, Vomiting, Colic, Immunizations, Asperger's Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Thumb-Sucking, Toilet Training, Ear Infections, Scoliosis, and Asthma.
- MD: St. Louis University Medical School, St. Louis, MO, 1970
- Pediatric Internship: Cardinal Glennon Hospital for Children, St. Louis, 1970–1971
- Pediatric Residency: Naval Hospital, San Diego, CA, 1971–1973
- Staff Pediatrician, Naval Hospital, San Diego, 1973–1976
- Mercy Hospital and Health Center, San Diego, 1976–1994
- Children's Hospital and Health Center, San Diego, 1976–1994
- Sharp Memorial Hospital, San Diego, 1976–1994
- University of California–San Diego Medical Center, 1976–1994
- St. Luke's Regional Medical Center, Boise, 1994–present
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Idaho Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics
This reviewer reported no financial conflicts.